May
Filed Under (Geekspeak, Linux, Work) by Justin on 2008-05-06

It appears the kind folks at Canonical have hit a home run, maybe even a grand-slam with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. I took some time today to build a new template for VMWare Server with the 8.04 LTS Server ISO and then started playing. The first thing I wanted to test was the new app in the universe repository called Likewise Open.

It couldn’t be any easier to install. The universe repository was enabled by default, so here’s all I had to do:

1. sudo apt-get install likewise-open
  2. sudo domainjoin-cli join yourdomain.com yourADusername
  3. sudo update-rc.d likewise-open defaults
  4. sudo /etc/init.d/likewise-open start

Step one will prompt your for some info about your AD environment. After executing number two above, you’ll be prompted for your AD password for the user provided. Once this is done, you login by entering YOURDOMAIN\youruser at the login prompt.

The first thing on my agenda for tomorrow is to try and create some fileshares on this demo VM and see how well they work and how fine-grained I can be with AD security on those shares. If it goes well, there will be another Windows server saying goodbye.

Comments

Tim Morgan on 6 May, 2008 at 6:47 pm #

That is great! I remember the 51.3 steps I had to go through to make my Ubuntu server an AD member server via Samba, smb.conf, kerberos, bla bla bla. It was anything but fun.

This sounds so much easier! Thanks for sharing.

Fran├žois on 7 May, 2008 at 10:53 am #

Did you manage to connect to shares directly without having to enter your login/password again? That’s what we are missing to be able to use Ubuntu computers on our network. It’s nice to be able to log in, but it’s annoying to have to enter your credentials again to access to network documents… So if you have a hint, we would be delighted ­čÖé

Oerb on 14 May, 2008 at 3:41 am #

Hm works… but not fine….
Networkshares not allways connect stressless. Sometimes the Keyring is between the connection. May be you must shut down it. Other wise the Old Users with no AD are not able to connect with Exchange via Evolution after Likewise. Hmmm verry buggy this all. And how could I update as an AD User. Looking for a way to get the sudo rights to a AD-User

[…] to great acclaim. If you’re running Ubuntu you can install it in minutes like this happy user http://wantmoore.com/archives/2008/05/06/ubuntu-804-ad-via-likewise-open/. Also if you’re running any of over 110+ platforms, you can just download your bits and get […]

zimo on 16 May, 2008 at 3:23 am #

Hmm, i’m agree with Oerb.

I try on Ubuntu 8.04, it’s work sometimes, but sometimes don’t… 4.0.5 and 4.1.0 both.
Will we have more lucky in the future?

auburn on 25 May, 2008 at 10:35 pm #

I discovered all one has to do to give an Authenticated User sudo rights is add YOURDOMAIN\youruser to the admin group on the local Ubuntu box. Make sure YOURDOMAIN is in all caps. I did this by simply editing the /etc/group file.

Jonah on 2 December, 2009 at 1:36 pm #

We are using kubuntu, running off of ubuntu 8.04, and this fix works great, though I have noticed I will lose the ability to authenticate after a random amount of time. I then need to leave the domain through the likewise GUI (don’t know how to through terminal, being i am a linux n00b), then re-run the commands on this page. seems to work fine afterwards, but then will randomly stop authenticating. any ideas?